Friday, September 27, 2024

Modeling Mojo

Hey hey, recently I have been having some trouble trying to get inspiration for what I model or as I like to call “Modeling Mojo”. This can be particularly difficult for many of us who model things that no longer exist, especially if it’s related to the steam era. If you have ever felt a bit burned out and just “not in the mood” then chances are you’ve experienced this loss of Mojo. Ill health, travel and life in general are all contributing factors to this phenomenon but don’t worry, it’s a common thing and more often than not it will return, just be patient. Cliché I know but it’s true, everyone comes back eventually. There’s a reason why you liked it in the first place right?

There are many ways to help relieve this feeling of almost boredom, some involving just walking away for a while and doing something else (preferably before you throw that latest project at the wall). One of my go-to ideas is to do some digging, no not the kind that involves a shovel. I’m talking about researching your chosen prototype which can be as simple as going online and looking at old photos. There are some great resources out there and they are continually being updated so it’s worth spending a day or so doing some digging because you might come across something new to you. Other ways I get inspired is chasing trains (the real thing). This might be a bit unique to my circumstances as I model more modern locomotives and rollingstock (when I say modern, I’m talking 80’s-90’s era) and many of these trains still exist today either in preservation or with smaller rail companies. However preservation groups such as RHWA and Hotham Valley are still great sources to get your steam fix for those modeling earlier eras.

I highly recommend if you’re struggling with that Mojo, it will do wonders to the senses if you visit your local preservation organisation. I know my recent experience with Hotham Valley did for me. What’s your Mojo fix?

F40 with Hotham Valley meets my F44 model in S scale.


1 comment:

  1. Great suggestions. Another thing might be to invite friends over to help with a project that you have found difficult to progress. Just getting a fresh set of ideas can be the catalyst to progress out of the rut.

    ReplyDelete